Chicken and Dried Fruit Tagine
Cook Time: 45 minutes
A flavorful combination of sweet and spice, this North African dish is the perfect compliment to chicken thighs. Served over couscous, this simple-to-make exotic dish also makes a beautiful presentation at the table.
- 1 pkg. HARVESTLAND® Fresh Chicken Thighs (about 2 1/4 lbs.)
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic — minced
- 1 c. Reduced-sodium Chicken broth
- 2 pc. Fresh ginger, 1 inch each — peeled
- 3/4 c. Small Whole-pitted Dried Plums
- 1/2 c. Mediterranean apricots
- 1/2 c. Dried Apple rings
- 1/2 c. Pitted Spanish green olives with pimento
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth or water
- 1 c. couscous
- Preheat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Place chicken in pan, skin side down; cook 10 minutes. Turn; cook 10 minutes. Remove from pan and drain excess fat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, ginger, dried fruits and olives. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (180ºF) and fruit is softened. Remove and discard ginger.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring broth or water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 minutes. Flutt with a fork. Serve chicken and fruit over couscous.